2017 Company Profiles: Agropur Ingredients – Custom Solutions
Agropur Cooperative is a North American dairy industry leader founded in 1938. With sales of nearly $6 billion in 2016, the Cooperative is a source of pride to its 3,345 members and 8,000 employees. Agropur processes more than 13 billion pounds of milk per year at its 39 plants across North America and boasts an impressive roster of brands and products. Agropur Inc. is a subsidiary of Agropur Cooperative.
A True Solutions Provider
On a global scale, Agropur Cooperatives’ network manages retail brands, cheese and ingredient manufacturing, blending and agglomeration, contract manufacturing, formulation, exports, as well as liquid dairy and RTD production.
Comprised of several manufacturing and blending plants in the U.S. and Canada, Agropur Ingredients offers the worldwide food industry a variety of products and services through three solutions sectors.
• Dairy Solutions, Nutrition Solutions and Custom Solutions.
The company continuously invests in its world-class facilities, quality and innovation programs and most importantly, its people. Customers can put confidence in Agropur’s rigorous quality certification guidelines, industry relationships, customer service, market insight, fluid sourcing and delivery processes.
• All of Agropur U.S. facilities are SQF Certified.
About Custom Solutions
Agropur Ingredients’ Custom Solutions offer expertise, ingredients, and services tailor-made to address unique production and nutritional needs. Whether the objective is to streamline operational processes with a turnkey contract manufacturer or improve product texture, shelf-life, nutrition, output or cost—Agropur Ingredients has a solution for you.
• Contract Manufacturer: As the contract manufacturing provider to the elite of the sports nutrition and wellness industries, the company is equipped to assist in all facets of product formulation, manufacturing, testing, packaging and distribution. Whether you need a proprietary formulation, agglomeration and blending, private label options or modification of an existing formula, Custom Solutions has the capabilities vital to getting your nutritional powder product on the market. In addition, Agropur’s Le Sueur, Lake Norden and Nicolett facilities provide toll processing services such as spray drying, wet mixing and particle sizing for products like sweeteners, honey, extracts, creamers and cheese powders.
• Ingredient Distribution: By design, Agropur’s distribution services offer unique ingredients and sourcing opportunities to better service customer requests.
• Specialty Blends: As a vertically integrated manufacturer, the company is able to offer a full range of quality-based ingredient systems to the food and beverage industries. With decades of technical and functional experience, Agropur’s experts can lead you to cost-effective, market friendly ingredient solutions.
• Specialty Ingredient Brands: Cornerstone Protein Products, Keystone Stabilizer Systems, Bakigen Bakery Ingredients, Capstone Anti-Caking Agents, Darigen Select Specialty Powders, PZ-44 and Reddi-Sponge Dough Conditioners.
Technology and Innovation
Specification Management: Agropur Ingredients utilizes management software to ensure product specification requirements are tied to the finished product testing.
Flavor Management: Technology is based on the trained sensory evaluation of the company’s food technologists and its expertise in areas of dairy flavor, protein and nutritional component masking, and processing impact on flavor.
Commercialization Support: Within Agropur’s innovation team of food technologists, the company has expertise in proteins, nutrition, instant and RTD (ready-to-drink) beverages, refrigerated and frozen desserts, cheeses, soups, sauces, snacks and bakery. When Agropur takes on a project, it assigns a team of sales and innovation that will follow the project through production. As needed, this can involve working with the customer through scale-up pilot trials to plant trials. When a customer seeks assistance with selection of a pilot or manufacturing plant, Agropur will provide recommendations.
Rapid Product Development: With Agropur’s accumulated years of product development experience, the company can accelerate product development using computer modeling and miniature pilot plant processing to get prototypes out rapidly.
Tasting Panels: Agropur can do in-house tasting panels using expert opinion, descriptive analysis, or discrimination. The company has additional resources in Montreal, Canada or Madison, WI for more complex panels.
Ability to Support Small Production Runs: Agropur has a small ribbon blender with a minimum volume of 200 lbs. used specifically for small-scale trials. The company recognizes the first step starts small and support this as part of its product development process. For larger trials, Agropur can run 3,000 lbs. in the plant.
Nutrition Solutions & Dairy Solutions by Agropur Ingredients
The Dairy Solutions sector provides industry-leading dairy ingredients including: Lactose, Premium Deproteinized Whey, Crinolac DPS and ISO Chill 8000 WPC. Dairy Solutions has a global reach, with 75 percent of its products sold and shipped to countries outside of the United States. Dairy Solutions provides support around the world, ensuring that its goods are available to as many food companies as possible.
The Nutrition Solutions sector produces specialty ingredients used for formulating a variety of products from infant formula to cosmetics, medical foods and protein supplements. Some of Nutrition Solutions offerings include: BiPRO, Glycomacropeptide, Alpha-lactalbumin, BioZate and ISO Chill 9000.
• Reneck Cayen, Vice President of Contract Manufacturing
• Mike Homewood, Vice President of Sales, Ingredients
• Carla Fabian, Director of Sales, Health and Wellness
• Rob Hollnagel Jr., Director of Sales, Contract Manufacturing