2017 Company Profiles: Stratum Nutrition
World-class Ingredient Solutions
Stratum Nutrition is a specialty health ingredient supplier offering branded ingredients developed in collaboration with global partnerships, based on consumer need, and supported by science. Stratum specializes in condition-specific categories, which include structural, digestive, oral and immune health to offer full solutions for human, companion animal and equine nutrition. The company’s mission is to sustainably provide world class nutrition ingredient solutions to nutritional product formulators for pet and human health. Stratum Nutrition offers a portfolio of branded, value-added ingredients that are progressive, safe and reliable including: NEM brand eggshell membrane for joint health, ESC brand eggshell calcium for bone health, as well as oral-cavity probiotics, BLIS K12 and BLIS M18 for ENT and dental health.
• NEM brand eggshell membrane is a natural, food-sourced ingredient that supports joint health. New research conducted on NEM eggshell membrane in a truly healthy population opens up new possibilities for claims language, and in combination with its previously published trials, builds a strong foundation for a successful joint health formula. NEM currently boasts five published clinical trials, including three trials conducted by independent researchers. The published research on NEM show it works fast for discomfort and stiffness—subjects were already seeing beneficial results at seven and 10 days with only 500 mg per day.* The NEM matrix contains hyaluronic acid, glycosaminoglycans (GAGS), collagen and other beneficial proteins that help to nourish joint health. The collagen, as well as other proteins, appear to work as a unit along with the GAGS to help support a healthy inflammatory response.* These nutrients help to support joint mobility and the healthy production of cartilage and connective tissue. NEM is a self-affirmed GRAS (generally recognized as safe) ingredient manufactured by the company’s joint venture partner, ESM Technologies in their NSF-certified GMP (good manufacturing practice) facilities.*
• ESC brand calcium from eggshells is a naturally pure calcium source compliant with FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration), USP (U.S. Pharmacopeia), and California Proposition 65 limits for heavy metals at the full 1,000 mg dose of elemental calcium per day. ESC is highly absorbable—its matrix consists of an ultra-pure form of calcium carbonate, inherent transport proteins to help facilitate calcium absorption, and many trace minerals which the body needs to maintain healthy bone mineral density.*
• BLIS K12, Streptococcus salivarius (S. salivarius), is one of the most numerous bacterial strains found in the mouth of healthy individuals. However, only a small percent of people have naturally occurring S. salivarius with the health-supporting attributes of BLIS K12. The BLIS K12 strain was originally discovered as scientists tracked the oral health of a child with exceptional throat health for several years. Scientists found that a particular strain of S. salivarius (or BLIS K12) was associated with ear and throat health. It is now marketed as BLIS K12 as an advanced oral-cavity probiotic. This specific and proprietary strain of S. salivarius acts to maintain fresh breath naturally while supporting mouth and upper respiratory tract health.*
• BLIS M18 is a friendly bacteria that can be used in conjunction with regular oral hygiene practices to establish a healthy balance of natural bacteria in the mouth to support healthy teeth and gums and overall health. BLIS M18 was developed from a specific strain of S. salivarius, a common and beneficial group of oral bacteria, which has been shown to help promote a healthy oral microbiota. BLIS M18 begins to work within the oral cavity, which is its natural habitat. In the oral cavity, BLIS M18 competes with other bacteria for space and nutrients to help establish itself as a beneficial microbial population. Because of BLIS M18’s active colonization capabilities and its effects on the microbiome around it, BLIS M18 helps promote a microbial balance in the oral cavity that supports healthy teeth and gums, and may contribute to overall wellness.*
• Micah Osborne, President
• Chris Haynes, Director of Global Sales
• Kevin J. Ruff, PhD, MBA, CCRP, Senior Director of Scientific & Regulatory Affairs
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.